Ms dhcp is not updating dns

Rated 3.93/5 based on 759 customer reviews

DHCP is on a 2012 R2 failover platform and I can see an error 1340 in the system event log when it fails to update the A record.

I had a prior issue where the legacy DHCP server was set to use credentials for registering the records and I had not configured that in the new environment which was resolved in large part by updating the ACL on the record.

I have six spreadsheets right now that represent our IP address space; one of them has all our public IPs in it, then there's one for each of four data centers (each team looks after their own IP space), and the last one is used by the internal IT team for their addressing needs.

It works pretty well - each team gets to manage the spreadsheet in the way they like.

To overcome this, add the DHCP server (the DC) to the Dns Proxy Update group.

This will force DHCP to own all records it will create moving forward and will update an IP with a new name in DNS.

During the troubleshooting process I wrote some scripts to ping all of our servers by name and log results.

Our Network Monitoring system was/is setup to monitor by IP address so it wasn't reporting problems (when the problem occurs servers are still accessible by IP).

Sometimes if I Restart the DHCP and DNS Servers, and then renew the IP it will update.This was not an issue when I first built the server so I'm not sure why it is now.I have dynamic updates enabled inside DHCP with the option set to always update discard when lease is finished and dynamically update even if clients don't ask.Additionally if you have a DHCP 2012 failover environment and credentials are not configured for those devices which do not have their own account in AD, each server will register those devices with it's own name as the owner of record so should the device renew it's lease on the alternate server that server will not have permission to update the record - hence I can't see a way around using credentials on both sides (and consequently scripting the setting of permission on the records already owned by the server)no, it seems the issue was that I had it set to secure updates only and for some reason none of these machines wanted to do it that way.Microsoft themselves posted that it won't work that way you have to do secure and nonsecure so I did and it began working.

Leave a Reply